Orbweb SmartCam

Total Security 24/7

Orbweb pictured a signal ecosystem for smart home by featuring IP camera, multi-sensors, and other leading features. We started with IP camera to stay competitive with other producers. Internally, we came up with our own proprietary features, hoping that this would revolutionize the way use smart devices in our everyday lives.

Project Orbweb SmartCam for iOS
Date July to Sep, 2016
Services UX Consultancy, Design, Prototype Developer
Responsibility This role needed me to help move forward through the entire interface design & functions. My role was not to prioritize app functionalities based on research I conducted but design and test all UI.
Tools Used Dashboard Paper, Omnigraffle, Sketch, Framer js
Project URL Coming soon

Notes: The UI and Logo shown in this use study are the design I built and finished early Dec 2016. The UI and some other component styles have changed since then, as the visual team may have some changes to it after my work with them was finished.

Background

In the summer of 2016, Andy Chou - Orbweb Project manager - called us, designers and developers, into a meeting room. Amongst all the capable designers, I was elected as the perfect fit to accomplish this task.

UX STRATEGY

To establish a strong sense of direction as to what Andy and my boss wanted from this platform, I used a sketch board to engage my teammates and get their thoughts. I felt there was a strong emphasize on business objectives and realized this project was in need of building some key features for smart camera to impress prospect clients buying it. So there was no point to conduct user research at that time; Instead, I focused on competitive research to figure out what kind of features should we come first in order to support most use cases.

I conducted research on 8 popular cameras based on the reviews in the tech community: Created a comparing spreadsheet with full set of their features and toting up feature's point to see what kinds of features are most commonly used. This helped us to initial the scope and priorities defined in next stage. Many of these popular cameras were mobile ready and integrate their own special event recording features.

Scope

Based on my research, we concluded that within 10 sessions we could come up with a blueprint for this framework.

Flow & Structure

Even with defined priorities, it wasn’t enough to fully explain the entire user interaction within the framework. So I rewrote it by telling use stories to see how the user would go through each feature and how system would react to the user's actions. These details allowed me structure this framework. Both design and development team benefited from this deliverable to build the system.

I drew out my own sketches to map out all the possible development solutions for this ideas on design. Some of them, especially much complex ones, were refined quite a bit. This helped us solidify ideas and visualize the process from the perspective of various types of users.

High-Fidelity Prototypes

Instead making highly detailed and static wireframes. I focused on rapid prototype to quickly get a basic feel of user flows and UI interactions. Each finished prototypes would be sent to my teammates to play around with and evaluate.

Manage Settings
Grant Access
View and Filter Event Hisotry
View and Manage Photo Library

A few Thoughts

I learned coding during prototyping in Framer and from people who playing around with it and sharing their feedback.

We had an intensive debate giving users access via social media. We believe that presenting users with another form/method of access would would increase higher conversation rates. On the other hand, underlying problems would pop up such as: “There was only a primary email can be registered.” We finally singled out a simple solution. If the email is already registered, then ask for current password for connection. Otherwise, user can only create a new account with a different email to link this social account.

This project was still ongoing when I left Orbweb. Although this project was kindly for business objectives, I still spent time on evaluating my design by testing it, especially focusing on the usability and utility. I believed our clients will ultimately benefit from earning happy and delightful end-users. You can view more about how I prototyped in each design sprint.